Saturday, June 28, 2008

more names and faces

The best thing about working with chimps is getting to know all their different personalities. This is just a few faces from the mix.

This is mocha. I thought mocha and I were kindred spirits because she shares a name with my childhood dog....but she's actually kind of whiney and dosn't like me much. but i still love watching her interact with the other chimps. its like i enjoy the 3rd person version of her personality or something. she has a strangely square lip which makes it hard for me to read her expressions.


This is Pema. If I were I chimp I think she would probably be my girlfriend. She's really sweet and interesting looking. I call her 'abe' because the long hair on her face reminds me of abe lincoln.

This is Tallianne. She is one of those brave chimps who is fun to have in your study because regardless of whether she does well or poorly, she is going to participate and do something.

This is Vinza. He's huge for his age group. The best thing about Vinza though is that he hasn't grown up emotionally as quickly as he has physically so he still has a lot of babyish habits. I guess he was tiny last year and got beat up a lot but now he is very respected in his group. But when he sits alone and relaxes he sucks his thumb. To be honest I am not sure if it is a cute baby behavior he has retained, or a pathology from losing his mother before he was weaned. Vinza is very sweet loves somebody to pat his bely.


And this is Koyamba. Everybody loves Koyamba. he is on the young end of his group and is ready to play any day, any time, any place. As soon as he sees people coming he starts slapping the ground, bobbing his head and laughing....basically all of the play initiation behaviors a chimp can make. he hasnt grown into his baby belly yet so he has tons of jiggly skin on his stomach and he is adorably awkward.

No comments: