Even though I have plenty of other things I could post about, I’ve decided that Gregoire deserves a post of his own. I’ve become the butt of a thousand jokes because I’ve taken such a liking to this guy but he really does have a special place in my heart. Gregoire is the second oldest chimpanzee in the world, clocking in at 63 years young. He’s blind in one eye and spends most of his day standing guard on top of his lookout.
Because Gregoire is so old he lives in his own special enclosure with one other chimp, Lavieille, which literally translates to ‘the old’. Lavieille looks more like a gorilla than a chimpanzee and is probably the laziest animal I have ever met. I love her too.
My favorite thing about Gregoire is probably his food begging routine. Gregoire has this old trash can lid which he uses to request, and receive food through the fence.
When he sees me coming, he immediately picks up his trash can lid and wobbles to the fence, holding the lid towards me and vocalizing. Needless to say, I’m happy to serve up a treat.
No comments:
Post a Comment