Monday, June 8, 2009

l'autre côté

I finally have internet again now that we've crossed the Congo river and are at Tchimpounga. Our time at Lola flew by (especially since we left early) and the days were full of adventure. So, even though we're with the chimps now I'm going to dedicate a few days to pictures and stories from Lola.

The bonobos were split in 3 groups as always, but this trip one of the groups was getting ready for the big release project which begins this month. There are going to be about 16 bonobos who are released into the forest in Basankusu with the hope that they will be able create or join a wild bonobo population. There is a lot of anxiety about the release but things are about as prepared as they can be at this point.


And the bonobos themselves are just as they always are....elegant, graceful, goofy...and a little bit confusing.



Crossing the river went pretty well. I had to hide about 2 grand in my socks at the last minute before before we crossed so I was walking like a penguin most of the day. Congolese customs ignored all of the somewhat suspicious electronics I had so they could instead focus on inspecting about 10 sheets of loose computer paper that I had with me. Then after they couldn't close the first suitcase again they gave up and skipped the next four bags.


So many of the little guys from last year have hit their growth spurt and are starting to become more and more independent in the group.


and there are also a few new arrivals in the nursery who have been rescued somewhere in Congo and are being integrated with the other young bonobos. Hopefully someday they will head back to the forests from which they came.

No comments: