Monday, July 6, 2009

one more in honor of friends

ok, i have a little time so I thought I'd post once more about the human side of tchimpounga. A quick disclaimer that I'm pretty much just choosing a few of the nicer photos I have so am inevitably not posting on a lot of people who are indeed great friends of mine here. In other words, this is not some sort of myspace top 10.

Lets start with the bosses. This is Jean Maboto. He is head of all the keppers here and knows more about chimpanzees than anybody I know. He's also one of the kindest people you'll ever meet. Yesterday, he asked me what kind of oranges I like best in congo and I couldn't answer him. This morning he dropped off two enormous bags full of different varieties so that I can refine my taste a bit.

And here is Bernard, one of the head keepers of all the adult chimpanzees. He worked with Jean Maboto in Brazzaville and also knows the chimps here better than anybody.

Here are the up and comers. This is Serge. He is an absolute comedian. His immediate goal in life is to produce enough kids to create their own soccer team, and from there they will take over the world.



And Willy. Its hard to describe what is so endearing about him because its essentially a solidarity of his character that you can only come to know after spending time with him. But if needed to trust someone with my life, I wouldn't hesitate to let it be willy.

This is Makaya Makaya. His name means 'Leaf Leaf'. I love it.


These next two guys are in charge of doing all the contruction around tchimpounga. I swear to god they could build a spaceship using only pieces of scrap metal and wood. Its amazing to watch them work because they are so creative. I always present them with the problem, try to imagine how they could possibly solve it, and stand by prepared to be astonished when the come up with some scheme that puts mine to shame. This is Donatian...father of 11.

And Patrice, the 'ambassador'.

And lastly a couple of the guys who are always quick to make you smile. This is bienvenu. French for 'welcome'.

And Alvarez...electrician/chicken chef extraordinaire.


This is Godeline. We spent a lot of time together with Oulengue at the nursery last year. I haven't seen her as much this year since she is spending her days with Lola (see last post).

No comments: