I guess I'm about a week late announcing this, but Tchilomba had a baby! Here she is a week or so before, puffed up compared to her usual skin and bones appearance. I think this is probably also the equivalent of the bonobo mullet....business in the front, party in the back.

Here's Tchilomba's other child, moi. Little does he know that this nursing will be one of the last uncontested bouts.

Unfortunately, Tchi-Tchi doesn't have the best maternal record. In the past she has rejected some of her babies, but was fortunately coaxed into caring for them within a few days of birth. This case was no exception and letting down her guard, the baby was immediately kidnapped by Isiro. Here's Isiro showing that she's not ready to give the baby back. sometimes maternal instincts can be too strong.

Its unbelievable to me that baby apes can go through this kind of treatment and still survive. Here the newborn dangles from Isiro's grip after she has been dragging it around all morning like an inanimate object.

Not only does she have the baby, she also has its umbilical cord and placenta along for the ride.

Fortunately the keepers got the baby back from Isiro and over the course of a couple days, Tchilomba has come to accept it. She's now nursing and the baby appears in good health. She's been a bit of a recluse since her change of opinion so I don't have an image of the happy pair but will be sure to post one soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment